Division of Forest and Forest Resources
End: dec 2023
Start: apr 2020
More informationPartner: University of Göttingen
Project participantsAndreas Treu Gry Alfredsen
|Start - end date||20.04.2020 - 31.12.2023|
|Project manager||Erik Larnøy|
|Division||Division of Forest and Forest Resources|
The main objective is to develop a wood modification technology that increases the durability and weathering performance of wood based on mono-phenolic compounds from lignin through pyrolysis.
Secondary objectives are as follows:
1) To identify the role of different lignins in bio-oil production and its chemical composition.
2) To investigate different pyrolysis process parameters for enhancing the quality of bio-oil in terms
of suitable mono-phenolic compounds.
3) To investigate the possibility of replacing petroleum-based phenol with bio-based phenolic compounds in resin and evaluate properties of resin
4) To identify the role of different
wood impregnation process parameters on the wood treatment quality and
evaluate properties of the treated wood
5) To transfer the results from the
lab tests on sawn wood to veneers and produce laminated veneer lumber for outdoor construction purposes
6) To perform LCA and techno-economic analysis of the proposed process and/or product.
- Vacuum Low-Temperature Microwave-Assisted Pyrolysis of Technical Lignins. Karthäuser, J.; Biziks, V.; Frauendorf, H.; Mai, C.; and Militz, H. Polymers, 14(16): 3383. August 2022. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym14163383
- Identifikation und Anwendung kurzkettiger Lignin-Bausteine zur Holzmodifizierung. Karthäuser, J.; Biziks, V.; Hoffmann, L.; Frauendorf, H.; and Militz, H. In Deutsche Holzschutztagung 2022, pages 140–147, Dresden, May 2022. IHD
- Vacuum low-temperature microwave-assisted pyrolysis of pine Kraft lignin – Products and potential applications. Karthäuser, J.; Biziks, V.; and Militz, H. In Proceedings of the 18th meeting of the Northern European Network for Wood Science and Engineering (WSE 2022), pages 71–73, Göttingen, Germany, September 2022.
- Vacuum, Low-temperature, Microwaveassisted Pyrolysis of Various Technical Lignins. Karthäuser, J.; Biziks, V.; Frauendorf, H.; and Militz, H. In Proceedings of the 17th annual meeting of the Northern European Network for Wood Science and Engineering (WSE 2021), pages 16–18, Kaunas, Lithuania, October 2021.